PLEASE NOTE THAT THE COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED.
CHECK THE WEBSITE FOR AN UPDATE IN AUGUST 2017.
THE BRITISH HAIKU AWARDS 2016
Comprising two categories: Haiku and Tanka
The Competition is OPEN to both members and non-members of the society from all over the world. Rules of the BHS Haiku and Tanka Awards:
1. Submissions must be in English, unpublished and not concurrently entered for any other competition, and remain unpublished until the results are declared. There is no limit on the number of submissions per competitor.
2. Deadline: in the administrator’s e-mail by 31 January, 2017.
Please note that all UK and non UK entries should be sent by e-mail to:bhsawardsadmin (a) fastmail . co . uk If you don’t have an e-mail, please contact the BHS Administrator Iliyana Stoyanova by post for more details. Her contact details are to be found in the membership list.
4. Fees: Payments by PayPal. The entry fee for up to 3 haiku is £5 and £1 per haiku thereafter. The fee for tanka works the same as for haiku, but haiku and tanka are separate categories (i.e. no mixing for one fee). So if you enter both categories, you will need to make two separate payments for haiku and tanka.
If you are uncertain about the payment options or have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact the BHS Administrator at the e-mail above.
If you wish to submit tanka, please use the same form below.
3 haiku/tanka for £5
4 haiku/tanka for £6
5 haiku/tanka for £7
6 haiku/tanka for £8
7 haiku/tanka for £9
8 haiku/tanka for £10
9 haiku/tanka for £11
10 haiku/tanka for £12
|Non UK entries:
3 haiku/tanka for £5.50
4 haiku/tanka for £6.60
5 haiku/tanka for £7.70
6 haiku/tanka for £8.80
7 haiku/tanka for £9.90
8 haiku/tanka for £11
9 haiku/tanka for £12.10
10 haiku/tanka for £13.20
5. No current trustee of the British Haiku Society is eligible to enter.
6. Adjudication process:
BHS will appoint two judges for haiku and two for tanka. Each judge sees all entries submitted in the category assigned to him/her, and without consulting, makes his/her independent choice of best haiku or tanka – and chooses one runner-up also. Their choices will be final and no correspondence can be entered into about the results. It is possible for an entrant to win more than one prize.
The Judges for the 2016 British Haiku Awards are:
Haiku – Andrew Shimield and David Jacobs
Tanka – David Terelinck and Caroline Skanne
For haiku, prizes of £125 will be awarded to each of the two best and £50 to each of two runners-up.
For tanka, prizes of £125 will be awarded to each of the two best and £50 to each of two runners-up.
8. Publication of results: As soon as results are known and the winners are notified, the results will be published on the BHS website at www.britishhaikusociety.org.uk. All haiku and tanka selected for awards, along with the judges’ reports, will be published in the May 2017 issue of the BHS journal, Blithe Spirit.
9. For early notification of results, please provide a valid e-mail.
10. Copyright reverts to authors after publication in the BHS journal, Blithe Spirit, but entry for any category signifies agreement to your work being published digitally by the BHS or copied for archival purposes (for example, by the British Library or the Poetry Library, London).
BHS Awards Administrator