THE BRITISH HAIKU AWARDS 2017
Comprising three categories: Haiku, Tanka and Haibun
The Competition is OPEN to both members and non-members of the society from all over the world.
This year we are bringing back the haibun section and to honour two incredible poets and long-standing BHS members we are naming it “Ken and Noragh Jones Haibun Award”.
Rules of the BHS Haiku, Tanka and Haibun Awards:
1. Submissions must be in English, unpublished and not concurrently entered for any other competition, and remain unpublished until the results are declared. There is no limit on the number of submissions per competitor.
2. Deadline: in the administrator’s e-mail by 31 January, 2018.
3. Entry procedures:
Please note that all UK and non UK entries should be sent by e-mail to: bhsawardsadmin (a) fastmail . co . uk If you don’t have an e-mail, please contact the BHS Administrator Iliyana Stoyanova by post for more details. Her contact details are to be found in the membership list.
Please note that the PayPal payment should be made in £ sterling. This year we are introducing the same fee for all UK and non UK entries which includes an extra 10% to cover the PayPal transfer fee. See the table below.
4. Fees: Payments by PayPal. The entry fee for up to 3 haiku is £5.50 and £1.10 per haiku thereafter (incl.the 10 % fee). The fee for tanka or haibun works the same as for haiku. You will need to make a separate payment for each category you wish to enter (i.e. no mixing for one fee).
If you are uncertain about the payment options or have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact the BHS Administrator at the e-mail above.
If you wish to submit haiku, tanka or haibun, please use the form below:
3 haiku/tanka/haibun for £5.50
4 haiku/tanka/haibun for £6.60
5 haiku/tanka/haibun for £7.70
6 haiku/tanka/haibun for £8.80
7 haiku/tanka/haibun for £9.90
8 haiku/tanka/haibun for £11
9 haiku/tanka/haibun for £12.10
10 haiku/tanka/haibun for £13.20
11 haiku/tanka/haibun for £14.30
12 haiku/tanka/haibun for £15.40
13 haiku/tanka/haibun for £16.50
14 haiku/tanka/haibun for £17.60
15 haiku/tanka/haibun for £18.70
16 haiku/tanka/haibun for £19.80
17 haiku/tanka/haibun for £20.90
18 haiku/tanka/haibun for £22
19 haiku/tanka/haibun for £23.10
20 haiku/tanka/haibun for £24.20
5. No current trustee of the British Haiku Society or any of the current judges is eligible to enter.
6. Adjudication process:
BHS will appoint two judges for haiku, two for tanka and one for haibun. Each judge sees all entries submitted in the category assigned to him/her, and without consulting, makes his/her independent choice of best haiku, tanka or haibun – and also chooses one runner-up and up to 3 ‘honourable mentions’. Their choices will be final and no correspondence can be entered into about the results. It is possible for an entrant to win more than one prize.
The Judges for the 2017 British Haiku Awards are:
Haiku – Vanessa Proctor and Robert Moyer
Tanka – A A Marcoff and Paul Smith
Haibun – Stella Pierides
For haiku, prizes of £125 will be awarded to each of the two best and £50 to each of two runners-up.
For tanka, prizes of £125 will be awarded to each of the two best and £50 to each of two runners-up.
For haibun, prize of £125 will be awarded to one winner and £50 to one runner-up.
8. Publication of results: As soon as results are known and the winners are notified, the results will be published on the BHS website at www.britishhaikusociety.org.uk. All haiku, tanka and haibun selected for awards, along with the judges’ reports, will be published in the May 2018 issue of the BHS journal, Blithe Spirit. All winners, runners-up and ‘honourable mentions’ will receive BHS Awards certificates.
9. For early notification of results, please provide a valid e-mail.
10. Copyright reverts to authors after publication in the BHS journal, Blithe Spirit, but entry for any category signifies agreement to your work being published digitally by the BHS or copied for archival purposes (for example, by the British Library or the Poetry Library, London).
BHS Awards Administrator