The competition is now CLOSED!!!
Many thanks for all your entries!
When the judges’ reports are ready all winners, runners-up and honourable mentions will be announced on the BHS website, Facebook and in the May issue of Blithe Spirit. Good luck!
THE BRITISH HAIKU SOCIETY AWARDS 2018
Comprising three categories: Haiku, Tanka and Haibun
The Competition is OPEN to both members and non-members of the society from all over the world.
Rules of the BHS Haiku, Tanka and Haibun Awards:
1. Submissions must be in English, unpublished and not concurrently entered for any other competition, and remain unpublished until the results are declared. Submissions should not appear in any print or online publication, social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) or forums as the competition is anonymous. There is no limit on the number of submissions per competitor.
2. Deadline: in the administrator’s e-mail by 31 January 2019.
3. Entry procedures:
Please note that all UK and non UK entries should be sent by e-mail to: bhsawardsadmin (a) fastmail . co . uk If you don’t have an e-mail, please contact the BHS Administrator Iliyana Stoyanova by post for more details. Her contact details are to be found in the membership list.
Please note that the PayPal payment should be made in £ sterling. Same fees apply for all UK and non UK entries which include an extra 10% to cover the PayPal transfer fee. See the table below.
Payments by PayPal. The entry fee for up to 3 haiku is £5.50 and £1.10 per haiku thereafter (incl.the 10 % fee). The fee for tanka or haibun works the same as for haiku. You will need to make a separate payment for each category you wish to enter (i.e. no mixing for one fee).
If you are uncertain about the payment options or have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact the BHS Administrator at the e-mail above.
If you wish to submit haiku, tanka or haibun, please use the form below:
3 haiku/tanka/haibun for £5.50
4 haiku/tanka/haibun for £6.60
5 haiku/tanka/haibun for £7.70
6 haiku/tanka/haibun for £8.80
7 haiku/tanka/haibun for £9.90
8 haiku/tanka/haibun for £11
9 haiku/tanka/haibun for £12.10
10 haiku/tanka/haibun for £13.20
11 haiku/tanka/haibun for £14.30
12 haiku/tanka/haibun for £15.40
13 haiku/tanka/haibun for £16.50
14 haiku/tanka/haibun for £17.60
15 haiku/tanka/haibun for £18.70
16 haiku/tanka/haibun for £19.80
17 haiku/tanka/haibun for £20.90
18 haiku/tanka/haibun for £22
19 haiku/tanka/haibun for £23.10
20 haiku/tanka/haibun for £24.20
5. No current trustee of the British Haiku Society or any of the current judges is eligible to enter.
6. Adjudication process:
BHS will appoint two judges for haiku, two for tanka and one for haibun. Each judge sees all entries submitted in the category assigned to him/her, and without consulting, makes his/her independent choice of best haiku, tanka or haibun – and also chooses one runner-up and up to 3 ‘honourable mentions’. Their choices will be final and no correspondence can be entered into about the results. It is possible for an entrant to win more than one prize.
The Judges for the 2018 British Haiku Society Awards are:
Haiku – Claire Everett and Scott Mason
Tanka – Debbie Strange and Linda Jeannette Ward
Haibun – David Bingham
For haiku, prizes of £125 will be awarded to each of the two best and £50 to each of two runners-up.
For tanka, prizes of £125 will be awarded to each of the two best and £50 to each of two runners-up.
For haibun, prize of £125 will be awarded to one winner and £50 to one runner-up.
8. Publication of results:
As soon as results are known and the winners are notified, the results will be published on the BHS website at www.britishhaikusociety.org.uk. All haiku, tanka and haibun selected for awards, along with the judges’ reports, will be published in the May 2019 issue of the BHS journal, Blithe Spirit. All winners, runners-up and ‘honourable mentions’ will receive BHS Awards certificates.
9. For early notification of results, please provide a valid e-mail.
10. Copyright reverts to authors after publication in the BHS journal, Blithe Spirit, but entry for any category signifies agreement to your work being published digitally by the BHS or copied for archival purposes (for example, by the British Library or the Poetry Library, London).
BHS Awards Administrator